A Trip to The Bazaar: Part 1

Date: July 8th 2019
Time: 8:30 pm
Place: IC Colony, Borivali

I sat all day at home. It’s quite a convenient thing to do, especially if you have the lay of the house to yourself. Out away from the railings of my balcony, the monsoons were threatening the silence of the plantations that sidled up to the boundary wall of my apartment block with a light and sound show. I did hear it rehearse from afar, and well, since it was afar, I was quite certain that they won’t put set upon the area in the next half an hour. 


Photo credit: Pixabay.com

Down the hall was my bedroom lit with the darkness of a premature night that occasionally invades the evenings in the tropics. The black of its light was asleep over the cupboard and the mattress, which left the pillows with no option other than to join in the slumber. I pulled the curtains aside to let in the sparkle from the tubelights that lit rooms on the second floor of an apartment block a few metres away. Frosted glass windows kept the nakedness of those rooms away from my prying eyes and allowed just a hint of shadows to come my way. Those didn’t thrill me though, but the white of those lights did manage to simmer down the night that my bedroom had started to turn into to an evening I’d be contented with. 

That sort of contentment wasn’t the prerogative of my stomach though. It was nearing dinner time and I hadn’t quite decided what to have. The kitchen shelves looked less tantalising than the menu Swiggy had to offer. And for a moment there, I was hunched over my phone to let my hunger be satiated by some restaurant. Hunching over something is a terrible thing to do, the reason being it almost always slaps you with a backache. The ache that grew into my back was excruciating, partly because of my posture and partly because I hadn’t ventured out for a stroll all day. 

Photo credit: Pixabay.com

I let my back take in the pain at 45 degrees to my legs. I was on the bed in the hall, the one that also doubles up as my sofa. It’s a comfortable bed and makes just the right noises when you sit too soon and then start to adjust yourself in the moments after you’ve sprawled all over it. This time, of course, as I sat there looking like a boomerang that had suddenly clad itself in flesh, I gave it no opportunity to whine about my movements. I sat still - like the air atop a forest that has decided to not let the howls and cries of the animals in its belly puncture its meditation. 

Presently, my back got the better of the ache and evicted it. Which is when I realized my dinner needed to be attended to. There were eggs in the fridge, and some tomatoes down in the Chiller rack. I wonder why the fridge manufacturing company calls that the chiller rack. As it is, the whole fridge chills to a noticeable frost. So what special frosty wonders lie in that rack I wonder. 

Photo credit: Pixabay.com

Then there were potatoes to go with the eggs and the tomatoes. They aren’t much of a hassle to prepare. Chop them, fry them, and then you eat them. But, somehow, that particular day, I wasn’t quite in a mood to play Julia Child at the kitchen platform. I was in need of a quick fix. 

So, I put on a piece of cloth that looked like a pair of trousers, grabbed my umbrella, and out I went into the uncertain weather that clouded my walk to the bazaar.

To be continued...

Comments