The Holiday: Part 3

Before you read this, read:

Photo credit: Milan Nykodym via Foter.com / CC BY-SA
The passageway was dark despite it being daytime. That’s because the walls that hemmed it in gave no permission for the Sun to visit it. A stray beam from a tubelight or two in the rooms that shared the passageway tried to make it a bit comforting, but that was half-heartedly done.

Often, writers describe a cold sweat that breaks all over their body as they do something they are frightened of. Some say that they start to tremble and find their feet turn to stone. And some get all dramatic and describe how terrifying scenes from their lives flashed before them like ads meandering about on a Facebook page.

Well, nothing of that sort happened to me. I could hear my heart beat faster as I walked towards the stairs (we were on the second floor). And I sensed I was breathing slower than usual. It was as if something had stopped my lungs from inhaling the standard amount of air. But no scenes from my life projected themselves on any screen nor did any sweat bathe my neck. I could only feel the place grow colder and colder as I neared the staircase - as if I was about to enter a cold storage.

At the staircase, I saw the first floor landing all awash with psychedelic stains. Each stain slipped into the other and did not quite know how to deal with the mix it had gotten into. Evidently, they had sprayed themselves here first before deciding to take the mess out onto the road.

I started to make my way to the first floor landing. I tiptoed down the wooden steps. The steps creaked with each toe that tipped itself ahead of the other, the railing trembled, and I hoped I’d go invisible in broad daylight. However, all that happened was I made it to the first floor landing without any incident.

I could hear the boys/men talking among themselves. They were right across the road and they could not see me as yet. So I knew I wasn’t the topic of conversation. And that encouraged me to speed up my trip to the ground floor.

On the ground floor though, I had to be careful. The exit (which also served as the entrance) opened its mouth on to a footpath that clung to the outside of the chawl. I had to take that very footpath and follow it as it bent a little towards the right of the chawl’s exit and made its way to the hardware store. Next to the footpath ran a road. And on the opposite side of the road, exactly in front of the exit was the place where the boys were.

Photo credit: DDOTDC via Foter.com / CC BY-NC
Cars and lorries were parked on either side of the road. And I was just about the height of a car.  So I could duck down and not be spotted by their gaze. Besides, for some reason, they were too caught up to inspect people who were exiting the chawl. Which is when I decided to duck and move towards the hardware store would be the best line of action.

Now to duck doesn’t require you to tiptoe. Yet, I did both! I ducked and tiptoed behind the cars lined up along the road. My heart tiptoed ahead of me for it had already come out of my mouth. And since my body, knowing that it would not survive without the heart, tiptoed a few nanoseconds behind it.

Every second seemed like a month and every minute, a year. Going by that, it should have taken me a few years to reach the hardware store. However, only three minutes idled past me by the time I stood in the store and looked at its owner.

Photo credit: peter barwick via Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND
The store owner was least interested in my troubles. He had his own: not many were buying things from him that day and he did not want to look absolutely gleeful when I turned up lest I ask for a discount.
Instead, he looked at me in the usual disinterested manner that he had perfected over the years and asked what I wanted to buy.

I told him about the screws/nails. I said I wanted a dozen of them.
In front of him lay a matrix of wooden boxes. And in each box slept screws and nails of various types. He screwed his hand into one of these. He then let his hand look around in there. And then he raised a fistful of nails and said: “Will these do?”
“Yes yes!”
“Ten rupees!”
“Okay!”

I got a reluctant ten-rupee note out of my trouser pocket. In response to that, the store owner wrapped those nails in a newspaper, gave the parcel to me, and shooed the ten-rupee note into one of the drawers to his left.

Photo credit: ATom.UK via Foter.com / CC BY-SA
Nails/screws in hand, I got out of the store and began to walk to the building. I looked around. A sprinkling of cars and taxis together with a double-decker BEST bus made for some sparse traffic to my right. It was a holiday of course. So the scant attendance on the road was totally expected.

I continued to walk towards my building. The footpath that clung to the chawl’s outside had rectangular stones. Each had its own shade of crookedness added to its irregularities and almost all of them had conspired to return my stare with a deadpan look. An occasional stain of chewed tobacco or paan added colour to the look; but otherwise, it was as ashen as the stone could make it to be.

Photo credit: Anuradha Sengupta via Foter.com / CC BY
I kept walking and came to the bend at which I sensed I was spotted. The din the boys/men were making subsided a little. I could feel a dozen eyes turn towards me. And a few seconds later, those eyes climbed to the second floor. There, standing in the balcony, were Mother Dearest and Father Dearest. Both peered down the kitchen window and put on their sternest stare to discourage all those pairs of eyes from doing anything to me. 

For a moment, as the boys/men and my parents exchanged stares, I thought I’d be able to slip away unnoticed. After all, the chawl’s entrance was just a few yards away and if I made a dash for it, I’d be in and up the stairs in no time.

I quickened my pace, instructed my head to look nowhere but down at the footpath, clutched the nail/screws packet in my hands, got past the entrance, and paused at the beginning of the staircase. All that exercise had made me rather breathless. I was within the dimly lit ground-floor passageway. So, I relied on its safety and allowed my head to look up and around.

Photo credit: Joelk75 via Foter.com / CC BY
The meter boxes twinkled with red and green lights that jumped up and down within the metal cubes that kept a tab on how much electricity each room drank and made merry with. Next to them on the wall opposite was a notice board. A wannabe artist had decorated its contents with some white and pink chalk. As a result, the notices took on the air of an unsolved mystery: They were illegible and left no hint about what they were about.


I thought the notice board funny and so, smiled to myself. And then, I started to climb the steps. I had hardly made it to the second step when someone appeared out of nowhere behind me and said, “Gary, the thing is I have been wanting to ask you…” As this someone - who turned out to be one from the gang - asked me that, he touched my face and smeared colour on my cheeks.


To know what happens next, read: The Holiday: Part 4

Comments