The Parcel of Marble

A stone is in my head-
A sparkling piece of marble
That's as sombre as lead.

It knocks my head this way and that
As if it to draw my attention.
It won't be pacified with a strawberry hat
And is in dire need of direction.

I feel it clamping my neck
As if it were a precious commodity
And I sense it wants to check
My skill in heartless iniquity.

Photo credit: Pete Edgeler via Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND
It's quite a handful to bear
And I wish it were never here.
But wishes never quite have an ear
Nor want to listen either.

A bus comes by with an intention to wander.
And how I want to hop in it and go
But my tickets are in my heart
And home it just has to go.

I take the stone out of my head.
That cryptic piece of marble.
And I see it shine and wink
Just as the bus starts to rumble.
Photo credit: thecleversheep via Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND


So, I sell it to the bus
And my head, to a passing pillow.
I forbid the bus to ever come back
And I befriend a sighing meadow.

I invite it over to tea;
And it brings along its lush repartee.
We talk and let the rivers flow
not bound by harmony.

At half past eight, we say our goodbyes
For Time says it’s up.
So I make for my room with the fireflies
And bury my soul in a coffee cup. 

-Written a few years ago

#poems





Comments