6:00 am in The Morning

Photo credit: vastateparksstaff via Foter.com / CC BY
I am sitting in a corner of a window. The window yawns its mouth open to show me the Sun perched on the horizon. The Sun seems pretty unsure about what it has to do. It is in no mood to sprint up and make the morning unbearable. Nor does it intend to climb onto cottony clouds and unfurl a cozy blanket of dawn into my room.

I leave the Sun to its indecision. It will drink in the birds pulling at its rays and wake up from its slumber anyway. My eyes let drop their gaze down to the cross road that clutches the sides of my apartment block the way a child does the fabric of her father's trousers. The signals wink from red to green and at times put on a dash of yellow. A cab rolls down from the lane that hurries down from the North. The yellow of its roof bears no face and yet I sense it smile back at the attention my eyes lend it. I follow that faceless smile to where it stops - just before the zebra crossing.

Photo credit: SheilaTostes via Foter.com /CC BY
A door opens and a hat makes its way out of the cab. The crop of hair it shields from my opinion leaves me undecided about the sex of the person. My patience tries not to leave me. For it hates to not know such minuscule details. I encourage it to stay and a minute later, my efforts are rewarded. The hat slants to the right and the neck beneath it leads down to a slender back that only a woman can possess. She walks away from the cab to where the road clings to my apartment block.

I walk my attention to the road struggling down to the south. Its white line separating traffic to and fro is now old and worn. It rips open in places to reveal the naked black tarred body that it cloaked. Stones and pebbles try to shield it but  do not quite do a good job at that. Not because they cannot cover enough but because the cover up looks worse than the road naked.

A man with the weight of his hunch walks on the sidewalk that gives this road some company. He notices the woman from the cab and pauses as if a shock of beauty had assailed his senses. The shock leaves him a second later and he goes back to ambling down the sidewalk.

The doorbell rings. I pull the curtains across the window and am comforted by the shadows they dress me in. I feel a familiar warmth within my heart - a warmth I don't want to let go of. But I have to - let it go that is. For only then will I know what awaits me on the other side of the threshold. I slip my nakedness into a disguise and open the door.

It was the woman from the cab...

To be continued...

Comments