A Song For You

Date: Once, not so long ago

A song sung by Whitney Houston seems to be occupying my mind quite a bit these days. I listen to it over and over again when I am at work and then, when I am home, I search for it on the iPod and play it over and over yet again. The song's I Believe in You and Me. And till yesterday, I had no idea it was part of the soundtrack of the movie The Preacher's Wife - which did have Whitney in it. Of course, Whitney had to be in any movie that uses her vocal chords. Either she was in it or the songs were not to be part of the soundtrack: That seemed to be a clause in all her movie contracts.

This particular song - I Believe in You and Me - did fit in to the movie. Whitney was the preacher's wife who also happened to be an erstwhile nightclub singer. And this song was what she was famous for (in the world the movie talked about that is). And so, she gets a chance to sing it in her tradermark style.

It's quite a beautiful melody. It starts out slow: The music does its best to not interfere with her vocals. A few seconds later it does, but you don't mind the interference. It entwines itself around the notes Whitney orchestrates out of her mouth and as they proceed to the finale, they both do a tango of sorts that's a beauty to listen to. The finale itself is a powerhouse of vocal acrobatics set to the tune of some powerful rhythms and beats that ensure the song comes to a smooth silky finish.

Yes, I like the song - somehow I managed to find a liking for it in the fortnight that hurried away. Earlier, I merely stayed with it until the point where Whitney first raises her voice and volume, and then I would click to The Greatest Love of All (also by Whitney Houston) since that was next on the playlist. The Greatest... still follows I Believe... on my playlist but - as I said - a fortnight ago, the urge to skip to it is no longer.

I don't seem to understand why this has happened though. And of all the songs I know, why this one has to take centrestage?!

Let's see... Perhaps it was something I did. I may have read a whole lot about love inadvertently. Or I may have watched a dozen or more episodes on love. CBS Love has enough of them and so does Fox Crime. Oh yes, I am not drunk as I say so. Watch CSI Miami and you'll know what I mean when I drag love into being part of that series's description.

Perhaps, it was something that happened. My belief in my self may have materialized. And that belief drew this song to my ears, and consequently to my attention. I am quite an atheist when it comes to believing in myself you know. It's as good - or as bad - as saying that I don't think I exist! So, I may have converted over to the other side of the line, perhaps. I feel that way these days. It's in my fingertips as I type this out...

Or perhaps, it was just a want for a change in liking. There was a time I had a stupid song called Subah Hone Na De from the movie Desi Boyz playing nonstop on my iPod. Thereafter, Shut Up and Bounce from Karan Johar's Dostana took over. After that Ahista Ahista from Bacchna Aye Haseeno grabbed my playlist. And now, it's this ditty from Whitney.

Well, whatever it was, I am stuck on I Believe.. like a stamp to a letter for now. Probably, this might last a few days. Or maybe, it might unpack and stay for a few weeks instead.

And then, just as the letter grows old and its papery skin starts to crumble, the song will escape and fly away. 

Comments

Unknown said…
superb...I still love Subah Hone Na De!