Just a Little Travel Talk

Travelling by the bus in the morning here in Pune is not exactly blissful (if you are accustomed to riding around in a Mercedes Benz) but it's - let's say - comfortable and reassuring.

It's comfortable because you get a seat on the bus. And it's reassuring because you know you'll reach in just the time you have slated for yourself to get where you have to.

Frankly, at 6:45 in the morning, there's not much of a chaos on the roads. Apart from an assortment of rickshaws and a few cars, the roads look rather inviting for a bus to zig zag through and do a cha cha cha!

I noticed this in Mumbai too - Bombay, I mean. There, if you leave early for work (say by six thirty or seven), chances are you will not be as irritated and difficult to talk to as you will be if you leave at, say, eight or nine 'o' clock.

Of course, the situation may have changed now. And you might have to set out earlier still - I don't quite know. I haven't visited Bombay for long...

Coming back to Pune, as I said, if you travel early in the morning, your nerves are at rest for most part of the day. But of course, how long can one travel THAT early? Sooner or later, you'll want to spend another five minutes in bed, another ten minutes just sitting in that chair in the hall, and perhaps another five minutes fighting that dozing head of yours.

And then, quite naturally, you'll sigh, throw your hands up in the air and say: "Oh forget it! My sleep is more important to me than that seat on the bloody  bus!" And you'll go back to the packed buses, packed roads, and witness acts that are a gross violation of traffic discipline.

:-)

That hasn't happened to me as yet - the whole going-back-to-the-packed routine I mean. And by God! I hope it doesn't happen to me ever at all!  

Comments

Unknown said…
LOL...I think you will wake up one find day and throw up your hands in the air and say "Enough is enough. I am going back to the bed, come hell or high water!" :P
:-) Oh I am trying to not let that happen, Pankti! God knows, I mean well for my well being when I say so! :-D
Abhra said…
Wow, you must have some determination to start an early day - for me it is unduly late :(
:) Well Abhra, let's say circumstances have made that determination possible! :-)