The Inventory


I have left a lot behind:

->Some lives, a few papers - tumbling in a ravine...

-> A few books, with souls bookmarked within...

-> A few souls in those books, bookmarking pages within...

Pages that I tore from lives
And then never opened to...
Lines I swallowed and slept over
Never to return to...

Paragraphs of days,
That had a lot to tell,
And then bid me goodnights, baddays, and goodbyes...

I forgot them all on purpose.
I made no place for them.

They were my books of course-
I had them printed.
They were my souls too-
I had them invited.

But I got fed up of them.
I got fed of lugging them around.
I got fed up of what they said.
And I got fed up of the tax I paid.

So I left as early as I could,
In the wee hours of the morn.
And took a train to Nothingham.



A letter arrived the other day
As the wind swept my balcony.
Its postmark I recognized
As the Sun paced in the gallery.

I held it for a while.
I weighed its many pros.
And I also noted its cons.

It's then that I knew its business
Was no longer to be mine.
So I crumpled it up,
Stamped it down,
And flung it merrily down the aisle.

Comments