Sick to work?

Getting back to work after a long long bout of sickness is a headache of the worst kind. As it is, the illness leaves you so sapped of your strength and mental vigour, you just assume you have to retire and head for the hills.

But of course you cannot do that. There are bills to pay, rents to bother about, and you know what else. In my case, the what else was getting away from a house locked into one primary school of thought: that sickness entails every member in the family to lecture the sick man or woman about what to, and what not to, do.

"You had a hair bath that day, so you fell sick."
"You ate chocolate, so you fell sick."
"You did not wear slippers, so you got malaria."
"You hardly wore anything that day. That's why you got typhoid."
"You ate meat on Fridays. That is invitation enough for trouble."
...
...
etc, etc.

Going by this sample of statements - that inevitably find themselves in many such lectures - you would be tempted to believe that if you stayed away from hair baths on certain days, avoided chocolate, wore slippers all the time, covered yourself with a quilt the whole day, and avoided meat on Fridays, you would never have to bother about malaria and typhoid.

Well, if it only were that simple, I will not even have required mediclaim! But no, it's supposed to be this simple for the family. And since, I had enough of that for three whole weeks, I just had to drag myself to office than stay put at home.

Now once you are in office, it's quite awkward to sit and expect people to send work to you. So, I went and asked for it, however difficult I found that to be. Then, once I did get a slice of what the people are involved in, I realized I was better off at home with those tablets and capsules and those lectures as well.

And so, by the middle of the day, in the middle of the entire office, I caught myself trying to finish what I myself had asked for and hoping I'll be able to make it for the 6:30 bus home.

It was sheer luck that day then that I was told that nothing on my plate had to go that very day itself. For had it to, I would most definitely have headed to the hills!



Comments