November 17th 2010

I am by no angle a believer in all religions. Yet, when it comes to holidays, I am determined to believe them all and apply for leave to help the cause of each faith. So, it should come as no surprise that I was at home yesterday 'celebrating' Bakri Id!

Haha! Well, it was a celebration of sorts. I woke up a full hour later. I watched an episode of Home Improvement. And then, I sat and laughed at the rather amusing final episode of the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. After all, it's a truth universally acknowledged - in the circles I roam in - that there can be nothing funnier and hilarious than watching Elizabeth Bennet and Lady Catherine De Bourgh fight for their respective perspectives of honour, family, and happiness!

Later, I ran off to Strand - near Fountain and bought:

  • Waiting for Godot
  • The Alchemist
As if that wasn't enough, I hopped a street or two and landed - with every intention to splurge - at the Proline store that's right next ton Reid & Taylor, also at Fountain.

Needless to say, I spent as if I am all set to run off to Canada the next day. I bought t-shirts, shirts, a sweat shirt, and didn't bother to look at the receipt.

It's only in the evening when I was at home and trying out my new 'collection' that I realized one of the t-shirts had two tiny tears around a very noticeable area.

"You should have checked."

Actually, I tried just three of the eight I grabbed from that store. But telling Mother this is like offering your neck willingly to the guillotine: So I decided against it. I hit upon a rather lovely idea: I lied.

"I did check," I lied. "This was the only one I didn't."
"Oh I hope you have the receipt."
"Of course, I do."

"And the labels?"
"Yes. And I showed her a whole set of them."

"All these?"
"No just these" - and I separated the ones associated with the t-shirt from the lot.

"How can you be sure?"
"Because, Mother, I bought it - that's why."

"Oh but you're sure this is the one?" she asked as she lifted a label that belonged to another t-shirt.
"Not that one Mother, this one this one!" And I held up the right one.

"Oh but you never know for sure."
"Yes, but I do."

"Well, I'm keeping ALL the labels! Take them all with you. You can never be sure!"
"You mean you can never be sure."
"Yes yes. I have a terrible experience before."
"But I haven't Mother. I know for a-"

"No harm in taking them, is there?"
"Well no but-"
"Then take them all." And with an air of finality, she dumped them all into a bag.

Well, I have lived quite a checkered life - things did change rather slowly in between, but change they did. However, one thing that has never changed is Mother's finality in every conversation. It has stood there - high above every other pedestal of confabulation and never ever yielded to pressure.

And since - now - I am too old for the drama, I just let her pedestal be and quietly go pay my obeisance to the one stand on!

Comments

Marinha said…
Reminds of the conversation between Mrs Bennet and Kitty about the hat... LOL :)
LOL. Well, human nature seems to be timeless and not defined by any country or culture either. Only sentences have wittled down in size. :)