About Telephones, Talk, and Time

I have no idea how people can talk for hours on the phone. I have never managed to plough beyond say 20 minutes - that too with great difficulty. I hem and haw and very subtly imply that I must bring the conversation to a close. But well, people choose to simply not remember what subtlety is. Instead, they plough on and on about how:

  • Terrible travelling in Mumbai is.
  • Tired they get everyday.
  • Difficult it is to live life in Mumbai.
  • We haven't met in ages and it's high time we do so.
  • Impossible that is given the erratic work hours we put in.

And then of course, a few remembrances are thrown in. We - the person at the other end of the line and I - remember:

  • The time we were working and that really noisome colleague who never ever asked to get along with us.
  • The time someone pulled a fast one on the project manager.
  • How we invented excuses to not attend A's wedding - all because she invited us via e-mail!
  • The big showdown between C and D and how D then dated E.


Finally, to wrap up, we insist that we will keep in touch, ask our helloes to be sent over to each other's families, and then either I or the one at the other end of the line have to hurry into a meeting or have to go catch a train or bus. Thus ends a conversation that is sure to repeat its performance a few days later.

Now all this just takes 20 minutes and that too is stretching the time limit a little too much to accommodate my desire for drama.

And yet there are people around me who wax eloquent on a call for more than an hour. Well, I think I ought to take lessons from them.

I breathe and so do they. So, if they can talk for an hour, so can I!

Comments