Episode 143: Stupidly Insipid

I have not read Rohinton Mistry's Such a Long Journey (SALJ). But that should not stop me from saying that it's needlessly dropped from the BA syllabus. After all, the ones who did ask for it to be dropped haven't read it either.

Perhaps, now, we can all ask to be included in the education committees of Mumbai University. We have all - you see - not read anything of what it prescribes. All we have done is heard about them.

So, since the University vice-chancellor thinks listening to 20-year olds is the best way to decide what's to be and what's not to be taught in SYBA, I think we must quite logically tell him to include Playboy in the portion now. We haven't read that, we have heard a lot about it, and what's more! Everyone who is 20 and above WANTS to know more about it. And finally, to see to it that he does abide, we must all take turns to twist his arm about and throw a lot of saffron in his face!

It's deplorable, really. I thought the Shiv Sena wasn't to wash its hands on, and with, anything English. But its goes right ahead and does much worse.

I think it's high time I- a Maharashtrian - get a job in Pune or Bangalore.

Comments