Episode 115: The Visit

We attended the 7:00 pm service at St. Joseph's Church, Umerkhadi the other day. The Church looks just the same. And the parishioners seem the same too. Well, we shifted away from there a year ago. So I did expect people to look a little different if not royally weird. But lo and behold! They all disappointed me. As I saw them enter the Church and sit on pews unofficially demarcated as 'their place', I realized I could actually recognize them all - same hair, same smile, same wave of the hand, same nod, and at times, same ignoring act!

Well, it's nice - and at times, it really is - to know that people have remained the same. But when they begin to behave in the same annoying manner that you remember of them, then it turns out that it's not all that nice after all.

Luckily, no one reminded us of how annoying they were - all because there was no need to. They were happy to see us all and we, to see them. It's funny you know - when we were there - and I lived 30 years there - I never felt I'd miss them ever. Yet, that day, I realized I had missed them. They had missed us too and so, they asked after us.

"When will y'all come back?"
"How have you all been?"
"Where have y'all gone to stay?"
"What man! You forgot all about us!"
...
...
...
...and so on and so forth the questions poured in, the smiles came by, and we engaged in lengthy conversations about how this one is, how that one was, who died, who's gone, and who's going to.

In the midst of all this, my catechism-class children came up to me.

"Sir! After such a long time."
"Yes," I said," A long time! I am no longer here."
"Oh!"
"So in what standard are you all?"
"Seventh standard Sir!" was the answer in unison.
"Oh! And who takes your class then?"
"Margo*!"
"Margo?"
"Arrey Sir! That Margo from Laundrywalla* building."
"Oh that Margo!"
Margo is this demure, silent girl who - sad to say - though a teacher has no class control at all. This is not to say she does a bad job, it's just that she's too meek to whip a class of mischievous children into a disciplined silence.

"Ah so Margo!" I exclaimed and smiled, "You all harass her?"
"But of course Sir!," they laughed, "We do."
I sighed. I knew that; I was just wondering whether they had changed! And apparently, they had not. They were the same - mischievous and yet beautiful in their own way. I smiled. I was glad to see them. I felt I had known them for years even though I had not known what they were upto this past year. In fact, I had forgotten some of their names and I was careful not to let them know that. Children - after all - always feel special and have to be treated so. Remembering their names is one big way you can delight them and they feel terribly let down if you stop halfway through your conversation with them and admit you have forgotten what you have to call them by.

Oh I was saved of that situation. They wanted to talk and I let them. And when I was expected to say something, I addressed it to all of them thereby saving the headache and the awkwardness of mentioning a name or two.

I felt silly and terrible about it and yet, at the same time, I was glad I met them. I know I am repeating myself, but that only shows I indeed was happy talking to them all over again.

Well, I couldn't spend much time there though. We had to go dine and then head home. So, I said buhbye, advised them to have fun till the 9th standard and then study well in the 10th, and then, with a heart light and joyous, I along with Mother, Father, and Sister Dearest walked away...

* Name changed to protect identity

Comments