Episode 99: All about Lunch

Date: 10th December 2009
Time: Around 1:00 pm
Venue: Subway, MIDC, Andheri (East)

Lousy day but nothing uncommon.. That seems to be becoming my specialty: Garfield - he with the days boring and common. Haha! What a stupid joke! I should be sued for attacking you like this...

Subway sandwiches - Amit is responsible for this addiction. I wasn't this extravagant before. But then I think I am being a little stupid.: Had I to think it extravagant, I would not continue with it. Yet here I am, munching a chicken ham sandwich and feeling so uncomfortable for virtually no reason at all. Probably, it's because I have this tiresome helpless habit of trying to impress all and sundry around me. It's so ridiculous, really: Impressing others I mean - serves no purpose at all. They move onto other impressions and you remain stuck, wondering whether you did impress them at all...

People at eateries decidedly seem to have a habit of letting secrets about their lives drop all around their tables. Why am I saying this? Because here I am, at Subway, sitting alone and here are people not around me - quite close to me; but not exactly close enough to be termed my neighbours - but a few tables away and each table has a whole encyclopaedia to spill.

Two tables to my left: Two girls gossiping. Things discussed: the affairs their roommates have gotten into, eccentricities, dates ruined, dates that were successes, salaries, who's a bitch and who isn't, smart moves made by office colleagues, etc etc - and to think the girl most vocal of the two appears not even half as capable to be a viper.

Two tables right behind me: They are silent! Evidently they have gotten wind I am spying! Oh sorry! Wrong I am. Actually, they're really hungry. I hear them now. Earlier, down at the counter, they were finding out where the other was working and now - up here at the table - they both confess they hate their jobs.

"Don't feel like going to work." is what I hear. Well, if they only knew what I was thinking, probably, they would want to re-consider what they just said.

They trundle on in muffled tones, but then the topics that come up demand that they get a bit expressive. And so they raise the volume a little. The woman apparently stays or did stay in a slum - the cement-concrete types - and she seemed quite placid - at least she sounded that way - when she said so. She was miffed by the fact that though hers was the first lot to be slammed into a slum re-development project, things weren't going the way they should have. The man, of course, knew this was his cue to offer words of sympathy and he most obediently followed protocol and did just that. I didn't pay attention thereafter.

I, you see, have begun to pick my teeth like a shameless fellow. Does it surprise me? Yes it does. I don't usually pick my teeth in places I am this uncomfortable abandoning my stuck-up nature. And I do this!

Well, it comes with experience or perhaps I was tired enough by then to not bother what people would or would not have said. It happens at times. I finish with a deed I never ever thought I could be capable of. And then I realize I did indeed have the guts to do that all along. It's just that people stood in my way. And of course, my apprehension about what would they think of me were I to commit that deed. The mind of a man never had it this simply laid out to pinpoint blame on factors that kept him from a deed he longed for.

Not that I want to pick my teeth you know. It's just that I feel it's time I just loosen up a bit...

Anyway time to go back to work or else - well - you know what will happen!

Comments