Episode 97: The News About Nonsense

Depend on news channels to trump up a controversy and they will never let you down. Yesterday evening, as I sat in the motor-training school and awaited my turn to learn, I happened to watch this new segment on Star News about how Aamir Khan seems quite hell bent on stirring up a controversy with his acerbic jibes at, and comments about, Shahrukh Khan.

First of all, that they called it a news segment was rather surprising. To make matters even worse, I noticed they had tried hard to make it look like a controversy and in the bargain  had come up with something rather silly and idiotic.

The segment opened by showing Aamir Khan mimicking Shahrukh Khan's trademark stutter and the anchor immediately concluded this was a slight to King Khan. Further, she went on to add - in the most irritating manner - that this wasn't the first time Aamir had acted this nasty. He had also aped Shahrukh's act in several movies.

As proof of this aping, they split the screen and showed two scenes - one fromRang De Basanti and the another from Deewana - that they claimed were similar. The scene from Rang De Basanti showed Aamir Khan leaping into the air with a gang of students. And the one from Deewana has Shahrukh doing more or less the same thing alongwith a gang of motorcyclists - only this was shot from a different angle.
Next, they showed a rain dance song starring Kajol and Shahrukh from Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and a split second later, flashed similar shots of a rain dance from 3 Idiots that stars Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor.

All this, said the anchor, was absolute proof of the fact that Aamir takes potshots at Shahrukh and loves to do so.

Sitting there in the motor-training school, impatiently swatting mosquitoes on my thigh,  that sounded like the best worst deduction ever to have graced  television.

Dozens of actors have leapt into the air and practically all of them have sung and danced in the rain. Of course, all this leaping and prancing about looks more or less the same because - frankly - there's no scope for improvisation.

So saying that one actor is aping the other - all because of a few similar scenes is akin to saying people are aping each other when they breathe!

Really, I was surprised she was even allowed to stand there and belt out this drivel. I expected her to be cut short with a commercial, but no, she went on and on about it and I realized that that was what Star News wants us to call news.

I had rather read the newspaper instead. I can jump about the page if I don't like an article and throw the newspaper with all my might into the bin if it disgusts me. Yes, I can jump channels on the idiot box, but I cannot throw the box into the bin!

Comments