Episode 96: The Driver Battles Day Two

On Day One, I asked for a slot.

"So you can come at 5:00 pm?"
"No, I work."
"Oh!"
"So, can you give me the 7:00 to 7:30 slot in the morning? Either that or the 8:30 to 9:00 slot in the evening."
"So early! 7:00 to 7:30!"
"Well look, I have to be on a bus to Andheri by 8:00. I cannot help that."
"Oh but-"
"Well, then how about 8:30 to 9:00 in the evening?"
The fellow hemmed and hawwed and let his palms pace the length and breadth of the table. Two full exasperating minutes later, he agreed.

I did my best to keep nothing in my way to make it by 8:30 pm to Sion. But the buses at Andheri knew nothing of my plan and so, idled away in traffic that has become synonymous with the MIDC area. So, by the time my bus elbowed itself through its brethren and finished its journey, the clock had quite decidedly struck 7:30 pm. I ran up the stairs, then down the stairs, and sprinted on the platform to the point where coach no. 11 of a 12-coach local train usually halts. Fortunately, all fell in place and I was at Sion circle by 8:00 pm.

Since this was Day Two, I expected to start the engine and do the rounds. Instead, what followed was a lame duck lesson in the car that only had me starting the engine and staring at the controls!

Well, I was a little letdown by the grandiosity of the lesson! If that was all there was to teach me that day, why take half an hour for all of it? But you know how these training schools are. They term themselves to be schools but are actually money-making machines in disguise. As a result, since all they want is to make money, they rarely - if ever - know what it takes to teach. Oh but look at me! I am complaining. Well, yes I am. I felt a little silly you know that day. Starting an engine and staring at the controls hardly amounts to a lesson that is supposed to stretch for half an hour.

Anyway, since it was 9:00 in the night and I had no intention of howling my disgust into the instructor's ears, I just signed my attendance card and ran off home.

Day Three was much much better. But more about that later.

Comments