Episode 91: A Coup of Sorts

Things have come to a pretty pass. Our romance is growing flat... Or so I thought was what they were trying to imply from their actions.
She would come in late, he would come in early. Not once - after the big fight - did they talk in the canteen again. And not once did I ever see them going home together again.

So the other day as I walked into my cubicle, I was rather surprised to see her in early. What's more! She dangled a wedding invitation from her right hand and was smiling as if she had foreseen that the invitation would be in her right hand at this hour. Of course that did not surprise me for she was anyway planning to marry soon.

I switched my computer on and began to work and a few minutes later, as I turned to flip through my files, my gaze ran into her hands that were an inch away from my desk. She was standing there and I could think of nothing to say. So I asked,"Getting married?"

"Haha! How did you guess?"
"Not everyone walks in with invites printed at David and Company you know."
"Oh! Very clever."
"So, congratulations."
"Yes, yes thank you."
"When is the wedding?"

She mentioned a date.

"Oh that's like a month away."
"I know! I am excited and so is he."
"He?"
"Yes, we are marrying."
"But I-"
"But what now?" The tone was almost defiant.
"Oh nothing nothing," I said in haste as I tried in vain to pull my words back, "so congratulations!"
"Oh thank you. Do come!"
"Yes yes."
"We both want you to come."
"How sweet!"
These office couples! Really! Can live without them, can live with them, but can never understand them!

Comments