Episode 82: The Advisor Shuts Shop

Giving advice. It's the worse deed to be a part of. For I have noticed that people take it and do exactly the opposite of what you tell them to.

Take for example, this guy - let's call him Guy 1. Guy 1 was all cut up and bothered about how this girl he knew was all so keen on him and how he did not feel the connection. So he asked me what is to be done.

"Well," I said, "in that case, tell her and put an end to it. No point in dragging your feet about this. It'll only end miserably."

And as per protocol, I was thanked and told I am the best, the wisest, etc etc.

I called Guy 1 a few weeks ago just to say hi hello. It was then that he bothered to tell me that he had patched up with the very same woman he had no chemistry with and how that was taking up all his time.

I smiled, said the right words, framed the right sentences and put the phone down all set to get irritated with what I had heard.

Well, I was irritated for sure. I cannot comprehend why people do this. They'll take the advice, do just the opposite and not even bother to tell me that that's what they did.

It's as if they expect me to advice them that way. I felt so stupid, really. It looked as if he knew I would say those things to him all because I had broken up and so, he just had to do the very opposite of what I told him to consider.

Fine, he wants to follow the exact opposite of what I say - fine. But at least let me know. I don't like to look like one who cannot accept joyous happenstances. In this case, I feel he didn't tell me because he thought I wouldn't be able to deal with his getting back together with that woman.

I am capable of jealousy. I will not deny that. And I am capable of accepting other people's happiness too. That however, I have come to understand, is not what people want to accept.

Another example is that of Guy2. He dated this slim slender sex bomb who knew not how to engage him in conversation. Guy2 is pretty arty. And the bomb cannot even think in a manner artful enough to comprehend what Guy2 talks about.

But they stuck together anyhow and a year and a half or so later, Guy2 wanted to opt out. The bomb would hear none of that. And so, began Guys2's dilemma of should I, should I not dump the bomb?

I told him to just do the dumping and move ahead. I also pointed out that he had better do it now than anytime else for later it'll be too difficult to deal with the emotional wreck the bomb would become.

He nodded, said yes, and lo and behold! Two days later, Guys2 and the sex bomb announce on a Web site rather famous that their relationship is now open!

Well, I know for sure, that's a lame way of letting things be the way they are. The sex bomb will not walk away because she - I think - is in love. Guy2 will not walk away because he - I know - is afraid of being alone.

Needless to say, I was irritated yet again. But then, I deserve this. I tend to allow myself the liberty to dole out advice rather too easily. And these were lessons that were just waiting to teach me a fact or two.

Well I now know my lesson.
So I guess I have passed the grade.
I had rather wander in Belgrade,
Than let my tongue be a free mason!

Comments