Episode 80: The 99th Lone Avenue

I walked through the city.
I tripped through its lanes.
I saw flowers sold with sheer simplicity,
By the woman - poor and yet sane.

I stepped through the rubble,
Of a street torn apart.
Noise and words from it did rumble,
And tried to give me a start.

I slipped down into the subway-
Cool, dark and sinister.
Shadows of a torrid black came my way,
And fright with them did muster.

I walked into a Church up the hill,
Where was sung a hymn
By a choir standing still
As their melody went from solemn to grim.

I drifted then to the seashore,
With the waves curled and timid.
For I wanted to walk some more-
The weather dull and humid.

I walked and I walked.
People talked.
Children yelled.
The breeze hissed.
The sand rustled.
The sea tiptoed with a hint of a soft kiss.

But none of this - not even the children - with their innocent glee;
Could drown the loneliness that floods and drowns me...

Comments