Episode 77: The Reply

1/02 Golden Arcadia,
Awaitsville Avenue,
Opp. Sionisia Park,
Bombastion

Hello hello Elizabeth!
Oh the apartment is wonderful! I am so thrilled, I keep dancing all the time when I am at home. I dance in the kitchen, I dance in the hall, and all this has got me dancing into Mother's bad books. I'll tell you why: The time I danced in the kitchen, a glass wanted to be my partner and together we crashed onto the floor. The second time, when I went swirling round and round the hall, three statues sprang to life and whirled with a rather disgraceful noise onto the table. Of course, I had to hear for all the mess they made! Mother, as usual, just isn't reasonable.


I take the bus everyday to work. And I have got to know the conductor as well. Quite a simple chap. He has yet to realize he is growing bald and that his hair is no longer black. And since he hasn't realized, he doesn't let that bother him as he punches tickets for the passengers in the bus.

The passengers are really a curious set. There's a couple that bickers from start to finish. And because of all that bickering, I now know their children are a big headache. And that the mother-in-law insists she have her way. And that the husband married her only because someone told him she was the beauty queen in that area! Well he should have known such queens lack a lot in the quacking department. And Elizabeth, this woman really does.

The moment she opens her mouth, conversation in every nook and corner of the bus comes to a halt. The bus itself slows down for it cannot bear the Greek and Latin that she subjects her husband to. Initially, I thought only the wife has such a treasure trove of expletives up her tongue. But Day 5 was quite a revelation. Not only did the husband retaliate in the choicest of slander, he also made it a point to explain to her the various ways in which all his rather sleazy titles suited her!

Oh yes, I was saying the Hail Mary all along so half the titles ran away from my ears. It was only when I neared the Glory Be of the last decade that I realized what he was saying!

Anyway, they weren't on the bus today and so, I had a nice time letting my eyes take in the road that ran along with us.

Oh and I must tell you, I pass the University too. Of course, the bus passes the University. I merely sit in it. But I am sure you are not going to pick on me now for such kind of sentence construction!

Well, so what was I saying? Oh yes, the University! It's nice and green now - not the stale dull concrete slab we knew it to be. And guess what! There are signboards now! All in Marathi of course, but that's better than no sign boards at all. I remember the last time I had set foot there - Linda wanted to know about some French course - I spent half an hour walking like a stranger in I dare say paradise, looking for at least one sign that could lead me where I wanted to go. Well, that in itself was a sign you know: After all my exercising and asking and questioning around that bloody University, Linda decided she had rather marry than learn French! Fancy that Elizabeth! Of course, it's a different matter that she did marry a Frenchman and then went on to flirt with an Italian only to realize that the Italian had left her for a woman of his country! She's back in India now - I met her the other day at West Side. She was shopping there and so was I. I ran into her and oh my God! You will not believe! She was wearing pink! The very colour she thought disgraceful before she dived into France.

I asked her how she was and all she could mention was her marriage. So I took the hint and asked about her husband. Hardly had I uttered the word husband than she ran to one corner of the floor and dragged the man in question for my inspection. Well Eliza, you know how I am. I am terrible at not finding fault. But even I could not fare better than Rosalind. I called her to tell her I saw Linda's Indian husband and you know what she says? "Oh him?" she giggled, "he looks like a dream that suddenly decided to become a nightmare!"

I know you're giggling too. But I was rather scandalized when she said that. It took me 10 seconds to realize that - yes; that's exactly how he looks!

Whew, such a long letter this is and I haven't even described all the passengers in the bus! Of course Linda wasn't even in the bus. But you know how I am: I love to run in all directions. Oh and I have to run now. Mother needs me to get the eggs to dance. And Father is on his way home so I just have to clear up the mess in the hall.

I'll write again soon. But in the meantime, you do write back.

Amidst a flurry of activity I am,

Your darling sister,
Glory

Comments