Episode 72: The Love That Isn't

Love seems to have outgrown the usage of the pronoun, I, these days.

On Facebook, A loves that pic B uploaded. B responds by saying how loveable A is and that B loves the pic himself.

On Orkut, A, B, C, D, and E all love each other so much they make it a point to include ‘love’ three words after they begin a sentence. And then wait in anticipation for the other to do the same.

So A writes: ‘D so sweet! Love you!’
And D flutters both her eyelashes and scraps back: ‘Love you too A; how's lovely B?’
A day later, lovely B gets the message and realizes she hasn't expressed her love. So, she soaks her reply in all the love she can afford to make available from the indifference she feels for the entire gang and says: ‘Oh lovely darlings! Muah muah. So sweet to see you all. Love you.’
And then the gang goes: ‘Aww how sweet, Love you!’

As if this is not enough, the first-class compartment also seems to have been suffering from Love.

“Oh did you see that movie? I loved him in that.”

Of course, it's a different matter that the woman who said so was with her boyfriend and the fellow barely seemed to listen. Instead, he confessed he loved the actress in that particular movie.

That, of course, the woman did listen to and all the love she had for her boyfriend stood like a knife ready to plunge into him.

“What?! You love her? She looks so horrible!”
“Well she does look better than most of the watermelons around!”
“What you see in her I cannot understand!”
“Well what you see in him I cannot understand!”

“Oh honey,” she said as she used her smile to defuse the tension, “he's just a movie star. Don't take it so seriously.”

“Yeah yeah. Right, right. Then I wonder why are you taking what I just said to heart?”
“Because you're a man.”
“That is a reason?”
“Of course, you men have such horrible tastes.”

“You mean I choosing you over that other woman was a horrible choice?”
“I didn't mean that. I mean - generally, your tastes are troublesome.”

The motorman got the train to scream and stop at Andheri. And just as I was about to tell this woman to stop before she caused anymore damage, disaster struck.

The boyfriend - or whoever he was - got up, picked his bag, and got down.

“Where are you going? We get down at Bandra, don't we?”
“You get down at Bandra,” he barked, standing on the platform a as he let his face contort and look at her through the window, “I get down here.”

“Since when?”
“Since the time my tastes became troublesome to you.”
“Oh honey! Come now! You know I love you! I was kidding!” and she used her last weapon: She batted her eyelashes.

Well, needless to say, but say I must, the guy burst into a thousand-watt smile, blushed a deep red, climbed back into the compartment, and sat like a puppy with her all throughout the journey to Bandra.

Some love indeed.

Comments