Episode 62: The Stellar Performance

Quirky days rarely visit me. There was a time, my whole month went in entertaining them. Of
course, I would then spend another fortnight to get them out of my calendar. Quirky days you see are splendid companions but the longer they stay, the quicker their exotica evaporates. And so, I had thrown them out of my calendar completely.

A few days ago, as I pretended to wait in silence and fortitude for the elusive BEST Bus no. 415, one of the quirks - whom I knew when I was acquainted with the quirky days that I outgrew - called me.

"Hi! Hi!"
"Oh you! Stella? My God! How ever did you remember me?"
"Well, you never remember so I thought I'll do that for you as well."
"How sweet! So what is it that you want?"
"How mean! Here I am calling to say hi hello. And there you are, treating my like this!"
"Well you are not the one to call to just say hi hello two and a half months after you last called me. And you definitely are 'like this'!"
"Tcha! People no? They'll never change."
"Haha. You know that better than I, don't you?"

"Okay okay! Enough now! Guess what?"
"What?"
"I am getting married!"
"Oh my God! How come?"
"Well, I met this guy-"
"You met this guy?"
"Well, yes. I mean parents arranged it all."
"Ah, so say like that."
"Have you to interrupt, always?"

The bus by now had made an effort to show its face from a distance.

"Okay okay, go on."
"So, I met this guy and he's really sweet. And we are engaged!"
"Nice going Stella! So when is the wedding?"
"Oh that's in May."

The bus yelled its horn at me, the conductor used the best Greek and Latin I thought he knew, but I did not realize I was standing in the middle of the road. I was that surprised.

"In May?!," I asked, as I recovered and allowed the bus to get lost into the traffic, "What on Earth are you telling me this now then?!"
"Why?"
"A lot can happen in between now and May. You may decide to run away with me."
"Oh shut up! One date you would not give me!"
"Well, I will, now."
"Yes I know. You'll write out a date on a piece of paper and throw it in my purse!"
"You know me so well. So, why aren't you marrying me?"
"Don't divert my attention."
"I am asking for your attention."
"I have already given it to somebody now."
"How sad! Anyway, so tell me about your dates?"

"What dates?! I just date him."
"Okay so tell me about it then."

For once, Stella lowered her voice and actually sounded dreamy.

"We go to Gateway of India."
"And and?"
"We walk up and down."
"And?"
"We go see a movie."
"And?"

"And and what? That's what we do."
"How boring!"
"Really? What does one do on a date then?"
"Have sex?"
"What?"
"Yes, have sex! I thought you two would be having sex left, right, and centre!"

"What rubbish you talk these days?"
"What's the harm? You are already engaged to him. You are to marry him. If he wants it, you must give it."
"Shut up! Give it it seems! He is very sweet. He's not like you!"
"Oh so I ask for sex? Is that what you mean?"
"I mean he doesn't think the way you think."
"Stella, if it's a man you're marrying, I think I know what's on his mind."
"But he's different!"
"Different my foot! If you ask him to have sex with you, he will."

"Good God Gary! What rubbish you're talking! You're a million miles away from the nice innocent Gary I knew."
"Whew! I am just telling you the truth."
"The truth! Oh you know what's the truth? You're a horrible horrible man!"
"As if I needed you to tell me that! I already knew!"
"Man, you're incorrigible too."
"Ha ha. So am I still invited?"

"Unfortunately yes. Or else, you'll tell him I dated you."
"You're very smart. But I think you look old now. And I don't think I want him to feel proud of his catch."
"Shut up! What luck he's not around! Or else he would have taken this all to be true."
"Ahh, so you haven't told him as yet."
"I'll thrash you now!"
"You into that as well?! My my Stella! You're hardly a lady eh?"
"Just get lost!"
"Ha ha. I'll talk to you soon then?"
"Ha ha. Yes, buhbye!"

Comments