Episode 55: Extracts From The Diary of An Urban Monk

16th October 2008
Time: 8:35 pm
Place: Sunset Island, Opp. The Misty Moonlight, Near Starry Nights

There's this disturbing analysis that raids my mind every now and then. It asks me to think - think - of where am I going. What am I leading to. What my actions are going to land me with or land me in. Which is why I somehow find it rather unconvincing that I have to work like the rest of the herd. That apparently is the norm, but I don't see the point. I mean after you have worked and earned and slogged, what happens? Are you happy? Are you satisfied you served that company that did not even recognize the poet or the storyteller in you? Are you okay with the fact that you left your narrative skills in the trash and dressed up to write things as simple as click this and click that and then click OK?

You see I had a job and it was nice. I had the money. I could and still can afford a luxury from time to time. But is there a higher purpose in life that I have yet to unravel and serve? See this is what I cannot understand. More so, I cannot understand how by serving time in companies and working round the clock in a manner so infected with clockwork precision can someone attain Nirvana or Salvation.

The Bible says beware of ambition and talks of it as if it were a disease or a monster hell bent on redefining havoc. And yet, half the time, I am told one must have ambition. That without ambition life is pointless. That without the need to achieve, one can achieve nothing.

I tell you I had no aim. I still don't have any. Yet, I can finish things. I can work well. I can deliver on time. But I find the system pointless. I think this is where having an aim helps. So if your aim is to earn 10 lakhs per annum and you do land up with a job that does obey that aim, then you fulfill your aim. And in doing so, you attain Nirvana. Now don't you think it's a little too materialistic to call this attainment Nirvana? I mean Nirvana insists that the realization it brings along is devoid of any materialistic aspect. Yet, here you are smiling as if you are drunk with the nectar of life all because you landed up with 10 lakhs per annum in your bank! That for you is Nirvana. And I am told that is supposed to be my Nirvana too.

Well, that Nirvana hasn't happened to me yet. As for the Nirvana of the spiritual variety, I think it just died of shock reading what I wrote just now!

Comments