Episode 26: The TimeKeeper

"You're so late."
"I'm sorry. I told you I will be."
"Yes but this late? It's 1:30 you know."
"Oh time for lunch! You wanna have lunch? We can go to Lucky's."
"You were supposed to be here by 11."
"Oh you mean you don't want to have lunch?"
"I mean you're late."
"Ah that! Look, I'm sorry. I told you I will be."
"Yes but this late?"

"What's your problem? At least I made it today itself, didn't I?"
"Oh so you were planning on walking here from that gaon of yours."
"Shut up okay. That place is no gaon."
"Hamlet then!"
"Oh shut up. This is so silly you know. Why are you harping on that?"
"I don't know. It's making me mad. I don't only have to meet you you know."
"Oh so there are others eh?"
"That's not what I meant."

"No? There are truckloads of them then?"
"No no, that's not what I meant either."
"Then what?"
"Why can't you be on time? At least once in this lifetime?"
"That's a question."
"So?"
"Well I thought you were trying to tell me what you meant."
"See that is what the English - and some Americans - call a rhetorical
question. The answer is in the question itself."

"So if you know the answer, why ask me?"
"Whew! You're impossible."
"Really? I am impossible?"
"Yes, beyond a doubt. Even doubts have no doubts about that."
"Have you ever considered how impossible you are?"
"I, and impossible? No no no. I am never impossible."
"See, that's just what I meant."
"What do you mean?"

"Well, I mean you just love to be this prim and proper sergeant general
who knows nothing else other than to make love to the clock."
"That's not true. I don't date clocks. "
"I said you make love to them."
"No, I don't. I just love to be on time."
"See, see. Forever bothered about the God-damned time! Why can't you
make allowances? At least twice in a lifetime? It's not as if you are
running a military camp you know. Sit at 9:00. Stand at 9:01."
"Well, I've never told you to sit at 9:00 and stand at 9:01."
"You've always told me to be here at 11:30. It's always at 11:30 - never
by 11:30 or around 11:30."
"So? Is that asking for too much? If I can make it on time, why can't
you?"

"Alright, may I ask you a question?"
"Yes."
"Were you always like this?"
"Like what?"
"Like a timekeeper?"
"Is it that irritating?"
"Oh I don't know. We've been standing here for 20 minutes and 34
seconds. I said I am sorry over and over again. But no! You insist on being deaf and all you want to discuss is clocks and minutes and seconds!"
"I'm sorry. Just that-"
-I know. You love that watch of yours. You look at it half the time.You
want to marry it but the watch will not marry you. It's a one-sided
affair. Poor you!"
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"Now that is what the English - and some Americans - call repetition."
"Yes, but it's used to express feelings that are oh so sincere."
"Really? And what feeling do you want to sincerely express?"
"That I am sincerely sorry."
"Are you? You want another 35 minutes to consider whether you really
are?"
"No no. I think 35 seconds will be enough."
"You're sure?"
"No."

"See, see-"
"Actually, I don't need to reconsider."
"Ahh, now you're talking my TimeKeeper."
"Haha. Yes, yes, I am Your Keeper."
"And and?"
"You are my Keeper too."
"Oh you so know me."
"And you so know that too."
"Oh yes, that is oh so true."

Comments

saltandsaffron said…
I like this one! Perfect! :)