Episode 8: The Induction

We attended a ceremony arranged to induct us into the organisation. The schedule said: 9:35 and also warned us to be on time. But, as usual, all walked in as and when their own timezones told their clocks to strike 9:35. And so we began at 10:05 - a full 30 minutes behind schedule.

Naturally then, all were in a hurry to stick to the schedule. So the speakers rushed in, walked about, swung their arms, said this and that, looked at their watch, waved their buhbyes and ran out. While some managed to get our attention and drive home a point or two as well, the rest raced their own Powerpoint presentations to the finishing line. Not that I or the rest bothered. It's just that we could have slept better sans all the noise they made.

So, amidst all that noise, we were told that the company is big, growing ever so fast and will be this huge international something in a very short span of time. Well, all that was spectacular and I am not derriding any of that either. My only cause for concern was the attrition:

"How many were there for the induction thing?"
"Oh there were 35 or so."
"Ha ha,"smirked my colleague, "which means 35 are leaving!"

"Really? Is it always like that."
"Oh yeah, it's always so high."

Ironically, the HR damsel said nothing about that. Instead, she showed us pie charts and bar diagrams and pointed at how the company's strength had grown even during the days of IT recession.

Well, I can believe my HR damsel since she is pretty and sultry.
But I do believe my colleague since he-I know-knows more than Ms Sultry!

Comments